The PATI Act increases transparency and accountability of public authorities for the benefit of the public. Its purposes, at section 2, are to:
- Give the public the right to access public information to the greatest extent possible, consistent with the provisions of the PATI Act;
- Increase transparency and eliminate unnecessary secrecy with public information;
- Increase public authorities’ accountability;
- Inform the public about public authorities’ activities, including how and why decisions are made; and
- Have more information placed in the public domain.